Manager of Human Resources
New York City, NY
The Manager of Human Resources is responsible for managing the strategic and day-to-day operations of the Human Resources Department which encompasses all aspects of employment matters including, but not limited to, employee relations, labor relations, recruitment, training, compliance, benefits and compensation administration. You will collect and analyze HR data, assist the Vice President of Human Resources with tasks and make recommendations to management. The role will require you to take ownership of multiple impactful projects from day one, which will be both challenging and rewarding. We are looking for individuals who can establish credibility throughout the organization, be an effective listener and be a proactive problem solver.
- Provides direct support to the Management Team and reports directly to the Vice President of Human Resources and General Council in areas such as staffing, employee development, employee relations, benefits, compliance, organizational development, succession planning and other corporate initiatives.
- Coordinates the recruitment, staffing and hiring process. Conducts new hire onboarding, orientation and training. Creates and implements employee retention and succession planning programs.
- Investigates and resolves employee conflicts and questions. Engages in coaching, counseling and disciplinary procedures when needed. Develops and conducts training programs throughout the company. Develops and conducts cross training within the HR department. Mentors the HR team.
- Prepares organization for and participates in collective bargaining discussions and the arbitration process. Promotes effective communication and relationship between management and union.
- Monitors for compliance with Federal, State and local laws and company policies. Stays informed on existing and new legislation, enforces adherence to requirements and advises management on needed actions. Ensures timely filings with various federal and state regulators. Responds to Department of Labor requests for information including managing unemployment claims.
- Participates in the development of the organization's plans and programs as a strategic partner. Advises on best practices for HR. Develops, enhances, implements and enforces HR policies and procedures that improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the organization. Prepares and maintains handbook on policies and procedures.
- Develops and analyzes key HR performance metrics. Manages and updates human resources records, including, but not limited to, employee turnover reports, individual files of current and past employees, benefits information and insurance coverage information.
- Experience with and knowledge of applicable HR-related statutes and regulations such as the ADA, COBRA, FMLA, FLSA, HIPAA, OSHA, EEO, and NYS Paid Family Leave.
- Experience managing HR data and analytics, understanding the data to generate relevant KPIs and develop reports for management.
- Experience with recruitment, hiring and onboarding.
- Experience working with a unionized labor force.
- Understands how to prioritize and meet deadlines. Possesses strong project management and communication skills.
- Plans and prioritizes work using resources and solves complex problems with minimal supervision. Takes a new perspective on existing solutions. Exercises judgment based on the analysis of multiple sources of information.
- Explains difficult or sensitive information in a diplomatic and patient way. Works to build consensus.
- Demonstrates an ability to thoroughly document processes and objectives.
- Comfortable using a variety of techniques (e.g., brainstorming, visualization, collaboration) to generate innovative ideas. Challenges boundaries instead of viewing them as constraints.
- Is highly flexible and can adapt to constantly changing priorities. Does not get frustrated or flustered when business priorities shift and work priorities must as well. Takes changes in stride and sees it as a challenge.
- Candidates must be able to: demonstrate leadership/coaching, build relationships, communicate with impact, demonstrate adaptability, think analytically, demonstrate integrity and courage, demonstrate professionalism, initiate action, produce results, think strategically, focus on customers, gain commitment, influence and negotiate, leverage diversity, manage work/time, plan and organize, and use ethical practices.
Experience & Education
- Bachelor's Degree (accredited) in Human Resources, Business Administration or similar area of study
- 4 years of experience in an HR role covering employee relations, benefits and compensation
- SHRM Certification required
- Master’s Degree preferred
- Degree in Human Resources strongly preferred
- Proficiency in PeopleSoft preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- HR Reporting tools
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office
- The position will be a local in the New York City office
- Ability to travel locally and nationally to recruit and attend meetings