The position is based in New York, NY.
This position will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices, and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. The Accounting Manager supervises a team of four and is responsible for managing the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation, and the support of budget and forecast activities. The Accounting Manager will have daily contact with senior-level staff, the Executive team, and the Controller which requires strong interpersonal communication skills. The ideal candidate will bring a wealth of accounting experience along with the energy and spirit.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly and year end close
- Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information
- Ensure the accurate and timely processing of payables and receivables transactions
- Collaborate with the other department managers to support overall department goals and objectives
- Monitor and analyze department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Work with the Controller to ensure a clean and timely year end audit
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflows of the accounting department
- Ensure all GL accounts are properly and accurately recorded with the supporting schedules
- Streamline accounting processes and drive automation and implementation of new initiatives
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed
- Understanding the RTS APP and working with all technology related to on-demand business.
- Evaluate, develop, and improve department controls, systems, and procedures to increase accuracy and efficiency
- Oversee the daily activities of the accounting department and ensure that all major projects, month-end, and year-end reports are completed accurately and on time
- Analyze financial data and create reports for management, stakeholders, and external parties, such as vendors or lenders
- Assist other departments as they develop strategies, establish objectives, and make decisions which could have a financial impact on the business
- Manage the day to day workflows of the accounts payable and accounts receivables functions and ensure accurate and timely processing
- Interface directly with customers and vendors in the timely resolution of queries and issues
- Lead the monthly general ledger close, including review of workpapers, preparation of reconciliations, journal entries and financial variance analyses
- Identify and implement updated AP and AR process flow improvements that leverage the efficiencies of our accounting system
- Collaborate with colleagues and management throughout the organization to ensure appropriate controls and processes are operating effectively
- Assist in fulfilling audit, tax, and budgeting requirements, as needed
- Participate in ad-hoc accounting and finance projects
Experience & Education
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting
- Masters Degree or equivalent experience is a preferred.
- CPA is a plus
General competencies include:
- One to three years prior supervisory experience in the financial reporting/general ledger area
- Familiarity with NetSuite or other enterprise level accounting system
- Must have strong experience with Microsoft Excel
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal, supervisory and customer service skills required
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required
- Ability to function independently and effectively in a self-directed environment
- Demonstrate firm understanding of accounting principles and GAAP